Thread: Spousal Support
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrister View Post
Does your spouse (I'm sure I could say wife for 99% of the board) support, put up with, dislikes, detests or doesn't even realize your collection exists? My wife doesn't realize that I'm even collecting cards. I sold the vast majority of my collection some years ago. It was a HUGE collection taking up a tremendous amount of space (and money). I had almost every regular issue Topps card from 1963-1980. But now, my collection is very small. It consists of just under 500 cards in 2 binders. Fits nicely into the a desk drawer. Out of her sight, out of her mind...
Oh man this is my type of thread. My finacee hates my collecting. I have sacrificed a lot of nights out in order to pay for cards, I do not tell her that is why I am broke all the time, I have to be creative and make up excuses for being broke. Realistically I make a very good amount of disposable income for now but I act like I get $25 to spend a paycheck. I try to show them to her and she bats them away and says "get that out of my face." Once in awhile she asks "how much is it worth?" I do not respond because she will just say two things that make me mad. One is: "And how much did you pay for it?" Or "Why don't you sell it to pay for a trip or our wedding?" She also notices that my bin full of cards is magically getting larger and larger. I keep telling her she's nuts, it's not getting bigger. I also told her I bought my cards before I met her when the recession first hit, then I dug them out of the closet a year and a half ago; however, the collection keeps growing. I do not want to tell her anything because there were times when I bought an expensive card then my car broke down right afterward and I had to borrow money from her mom. Neither one of them knew I bought a card. But hey I paid her mom back right away, but if they knew I borrowed because of a card she would be pissed.
She also takes it personal when I look on the internet for hours instead of sitting on the couch watching TV with her. It is very hard having a significant other that does not collect anything or understand collecting things.