View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Evan - I am 99.9% sure that that Marshall's 1952 Mantle came from Rosen's find. I was actually involved in the transaction between Bill Hughes and David Hall at the time - it did not directly trade hands between them.

Also, and not a big deal, I believe that the set was consigned by Mike Murphy - Mark's dad.

That makes much more sense. I went to school with Mark and he was much more interested in new stuff when we were in high school (graduated in 1990). His father is one of the nicest men I’ve ever known and we used to sit at the dining room table and look at that set. He was so proud of it and I don’t think Mark cared very much for vintage at the time. It was really my first exposure to older cards and it kind of ruined things for me...similar to sitting 15th row center stage for the Stones in ‘89. It doesn’t get much better! The Murphy’s moved down south a few years later and I never got to see those cards again...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.