Thread: AH Blues
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
You are correct with the math, but people are not as comfortable with change as a whole and very resistant when they perceive that they are the one paying the tab. It's all psychological for most of them.

I agree, if you told me I got 90% of the take instead of 80% in the end, A. is the better option.

I would add that the larger houses would probably need much more than 10% for their cut to make it work out with larger overhead and that throws a wrench in the works and now you are back to 15-18%(minimally) for a sellers fee and the consignors just won't go for it.

As you know I charge 12 1/2% bp and no sellers fee. My biggest point to consignors is that they are netting 87 1/2% of each item(hammer+bp), which is more dollar in their pocket versus AH that charge 15-23%.
Exactly Scott. What matters is the AH's total take. You are making my point, I think.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.