View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 03:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I do agree that unless you have to sell shortly after purchase you can get back at least half your money after fees on popular vintage cards. More if you don't pay taxes.

Pretty absurd statement me thinks. If I buy a quality vintage card at a nice AH like LOTG or Heritage for $30,000 and have to sell it, I will get back less than $15,000? No. That's a very unlikely outcome. Not impossible but pretty unlikely. I track a few hundred vintage cards, and very very few of them have dropped 50% in value. Actually probably zero of them.

And there wouldn't be any tax liability if you bought a card and sold it for a huge loss, so I'm not sure what that means.

I haven't sold one vintage card at a 50% loss and don't know anyone who has. Maybe I've lost 10-15% but that would be the most. And on 95% of my sales I have made a profit.
Fair point so lets do some math. I do not know the actual numbers so please provide them for me on a $30k purchase.

At $30K you are the person who will pay the most for that card so lets use the underbidders bid as what you can really sell it for. Then take off the buyers and sellers premium and the tax liabilities being a collector and not a business and what do you have left. Seriously I am curious.