View Single Post
Old 10-22-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorednw View Post
I would like to invest $15,000 on a larger investment type cards(s). Would love to hear everyone's opinions on what they would seek out if it were up to them.

The fact of the matter is, I have a chunk of change I would like to park, and don't feel the best putting it in any financial instrument at the moment.

I respect everyone's opinions here and eager to hear what you would do? Card(s) you would lean towards?
I would stay away from mainstream cards. They're not bad; they're beautiful. But, BUT, they're too bountiful. I would stick with immediate post-war regional / food issues. If it was me, and I had the 15 grand, I would go to EBAY or a major auction house, and check on a 1959 Bazooka Johnny Unitas. Or, a 1947-49 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson in at least a 5. Or, a 1954 Briggs Franks Mickey Mantle.

Friend, this is honest advice. I do not own any of them. However, as a regional / food collector, I would be instantly, intensely interested in all 3. You might only be able to buy 2 of them with your whole wad; however, I feel the upside is very substantial for all three. Right now, the Bazooka Unitas is ungraded, but looks MUCH BETTER THAN USUAL. It is also one of Johnny's most beautiful cards, period. The 1947-49 Bond Bread Jackie has slowly gained a considerable amount of respect among hobbyists. The issue has a fascinating background story, and nice examples are rare as hen's teeth.

Now, the NON-mainstream crowd is relatively few compared to mainstream. Still, mainstream is dime a dozen, but heavily in demand. There's a deep undercurrent of demand for the scarce and often rare regional / food issues. Some were ugly; forget about them. However, some are so beautiful to rank among the player's best and most desirable cards. The 1959 Bazooka Johnny Unitas is indeed a good example. Sure, if you don't care for football, forget about that one. There's plenty of tough desirable baseball cards around to such up that $15,000 you have, and then some. If you love hockey, just try hunting down a ROYAL DESSERTS GORDIE HOWE. Rots a ruck, guy. However, if you were able to track one down, the Gordie Howe guys ADORE THAT CARD!!!!!!!

WHAT EVER YOU DO, TAKE YOUR TIME DECIDING WHAT YOU REALLY LIKE AND WANT. Of course, I always did terrible buying cards that I thought would appreciate. Be that as it may, the cards I bought because I absolutely loved how they looked----THOSE TENDED TO BE THE ONES THAT IN A FEW DECADES BECAME WORTH MORE THAN WHAT I HAVE MADE OVER THE COURSE OF A WORKING YEAR, BELIEVE IT OR NOT. That was then; this is now. Hopefully, you'll find one, two, or three cards that command your attention, as well as the attention of some future collectors when it's time for you to sell. Sadly, this can be a cruel hobby that way. The player that's red-hot today can get a more than red-hot injury some day. That's why you must still with the Babe, Cobb, Gehrig, Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, a rare beautiful Michael Jordan or better, Wilt Chamberlain, the Mick, etc.

I probably rattled on too much---sorry about that, Chief.

For the most part, time is on your side. You might want to wait and see what the economy is going to do. A very bad recession will knock the wind out of most all collectibles. You might need that dough for something essential. Just sayin'.

Until then, be patient, prudent, and picky. I wish you the very best. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-22-2022 at 03:49 PM.