View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
+1. There are lots of members with unbelievable collections who do not like to post cards. The way I figure, you all are the only ones who get and dig this hobby/obsession- my wife and kids don’t want to look at my cards, my friends think I am nuts, but what good is having them in a safe and not sharing. That’s why I post my digital collection in my signature block.

Regardless of high dollar, beater, rare, common, they are cards and we love them and I think we should share with others who feel the same.
A very sage and astute observation, sir. However, I extend my sincere sorrow to you over your family not wanting to look at your cards. Mine do; however, I only show a few of my special ones to them only occasionally. I suppose they enjoy sharing my joy over them because I have been pleased to take a good interest in their pleasures and pursuits. We're a very close family.

However, your situation may be totally different than mine, and I'm sure you and your family are very close, too. Our collections that we cherish and their relationship to our family is usually complicated, tricky, and demands thoughtful care and mutual compassion among family and friends.

Funny, when I have shared a few cards from my collection, an acquisition I was excited about, or told of my book on post-war regionals, this board has almost always given me the silent treatment. Then again, the post-war board is often not well-participated, depending on the thread---a true exception is the Mickey Mantle ALL THE TIME thread, which has now generated over 350,000 views.

---Brian Powell