View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 03:16 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
It's hard to imagine a business model that's predicated primarily on the forgetfulness or irrationality of presumably savvy buyers. Perhaps another explanation for the existence of the BP is that is divides the huge margin that many AHs work off so the burden is shared by both the buyers and the sellers. When looking recently to consign with a couple of the major AHs, I was quoted 15% seller's commission on top of 20% BP. Yes, the commission was negotiable based on total consignment value, and yes, I realize that not all AHs have a seller's commission, but the ones about whom we create threads to show off our winnings do. It's crazy; I don't think any person here would feel good paying any entity a 35% margin for giving us access to cards, but it's happening. I guess as long as we keep getting pretty catalogs, it will continue.

Also comes down to bottom line.. For a lot of people its harder to sell at 50k card by just listing it on ebay or direct versus consigning with a AH... yes some cards you can do just as well on your own (assuming you are the average joe) as consigning but taken as a whole, most nice cards obtain a higher offer than we can do on our own...you are paying for that of course as you dont get the entire bid but lets not just pretend you are just losing 20%+ more than you would get on the card. Plus ebay you are losing 10%+ on the card.