View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default Today’s Auction House Scene

With the recent poster fun thread and taking some time to reflect this evening on the hobby as I look over my collection and scan some new goodies. I couldn’t help but wonder do we get what we deserve?

We are filled with a hobby of folks who seem to be hell bent on trying every angle to make a buck from fraud, creative games and write ups to straight shill bidding. Yet a lot of us seem to come back for more abuse. I know, I know cards trumps all. Hell I’m guilty myself of swallowing that gag reflex and placing bids with folks I wouldn’t give cab fare to our let watch my sandwich while I went to take a leak.

For me though a start has to begin somewhere. For many years there was no clear line to start but that’s begun to change IMO. The FBI has taken great strides to begin to try and clean up this mess for us. Many collectors have begun to get involved as well to do what they can to help.

Also were starting to see some good folks enter the fray among the sharks and wolves to set up little safe havens of just straight good old honest auctions. Brian Dwyer kicked it off with Sterling, Lee picked up the ball and ran with it very well. Our own Al Crisafulli fired up Love of the Game. Both of these guys have no nonsense write ups great images and well laid out auctions for a myriad of collectors taste.

So in 2014 maybe we as collectors perhaps should start to look to others to consign/bid with you know try a new flavor vs. stomaching the bad taste that is many of these guys. Are all the big boys bad no not at all. I’m also sure everyone has a problem with somebody that’s a given. But we as collectors should begin to take note of the ones who continue their shenanigans, and begin to turn our business to those looking to get back to basics. I know wishful thinking!

It may very well be back to the scumbags and conmen in 2014. But hey it’s that time of year where optimism begins to blossom so why not think about it.

For me how hard can this business be, you don’t need games and tactics. Just some decent stuff a few good scans, honest write ups and commitment to your customers.

If the person you’re thinking of doing business with doesn’t have that philosophy you may want think again before you start sending checks.

Feel free to tear the above apart now.

Cheers,

John