View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 12:24 AM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
So I was reading one of the "nice find" posts that pop up from time to time, and I thought to myself, "Gosh, it sure would suck if someone else made a lot of money off my stuff after I die." I thought I would ask how all of you deal with this. Do you have another collector designated to sell your stuff? Do you have written instructions for your executor ("This stuff is worthless, this stuff should go to an auction house (in particular this one, with whom I've already made arrangements), don't throw this away under any circumstances, etc)? Do you plan to sell it all before you die so it's not an issue? Sorry if this is a bit grim, but I thought it might be useful not just for me but for others.
an interesting topic - one that may or may not have been discussed here before - but IMO it's definitely a legit topic for discussion.

personally, I've been thinking about such a situation, and I'm leaning towards - in the near future: 1, 2, 3 months (or years, of course, in an ideal situation) - unloading - at the right price - a sh!tload of my 'stuff' as I have no kids/family members who give a rats ass about the "stuff" I've acquired over the past 30 years...

while I'm honestly leery of 'predators/vultures' (no offense) that know I'm holding some cool stuff, should I die today/tomorrow/the next day, I'd personally rather set up my family/friends with my stuff - or myself for that matter - with some useful funds rather than having my sh!t wind up in probate or otherwise realizing 10-20 cents per dollar upon my (untimely or otherwise) demise...

sure, it's just "stuff", but it's the old generally-speaking sports adage "...I'd rather trade a player a year too early than a year too late" has to be factored into (responsible) decisions...

throw me a viable bone, and I'd rather find a suitable new home for my stuff than screw myself - or my family/friends when that day eventually comes.

JMO, and PM's (regarding anything anyone familiar with my type of holdings has coveted over the years) are always welcome, if not solicited!

p.s. - checkbook required , of course.

DS

Last edited by FourStrikes; 09-09-2016 at 12:28 AM.