View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmondobueno View Post
I started chasing the set in earnest in 2012, buying lower grade commons and lots. (Buy in lots when you can). I had an unspoken goal to get a short set done in two years, and I did.

My focus shifted to the HOF cards and found I liked the assurance I had with graded cards. There are a lot of trimmed cards out there, which is fine because many of these cards look really nice. Unfortunately, a number of these were not presented as trimmed and I paid a price dealing with that. This is another reason to use the BST. You may run into a few issues but I can tell you the guys on this list are invested in the hobby and will treat you well.

And then I sprung for a red Cobb, SGC 60, beautiful registration, perfect centering. There went my budget. I put money into the HOF and scarcer cards and gave up upgrading my lower grade commons once I realized my budget was getting away from me. I got burned out, can you believe it!

So, take your time, stick to your budget and buy what you like. Cards will be there when you are ready for them!

Have fun! Oh yeah, get yerself into Frank's Monster thread if you have not already...

Keith
Keith -

Thank you very much for the advice. Are you suggesting to go with graded for the entire set?

Definitely going to get myself into Frank's Monster thread. I've been reading through that thread. Pretty impressive what some people have.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame