View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Auction is a true market price. there are some high and lows at auction but thats the market. If you have something listed for a year its not at market price in the format its listed when selling a card. Simple as that.

When need to sell at market price, people usually dont have a year to wait around to sell the card. I think most people would agree if it takes more than 3 or so months to sell its not a market price for the time period. I have used a house analogy a few time. Yes if own a house you can list it for years and maybe sell it 4 years later, but houses go stale after 60-90s and are not considered to be at 'market price' Just because you sell an item 4 years later doesnt mean it was at market price the first year. People die in a year. Sellers and Buyers die.

You have a 1952 Mantle topps in 1965 in EX conditon and you want $17,000. Its not market price at the time. It is market price potentially now but who cares if you are dead by then. Thats why market price is for a more limited time period than a year traditionally for collectibles.

Also I think when Dealers say 'they dont need to sell' combined with the fact the card is listed for years. I dont think its in response to low ball offers. I think its they really dont need to sell...at market price...
I don't agree with almost anything you stated above. The analogy of cards and houses is not a valid one. The strategy of selling using BIN's involves more than just pricing. It's true that if you only have a few items for sale, you need to turn them over very quickly. If you have more capital and can afford to have 500 items up for sale, as opposed to 10, 50, 100, even 200, then your volume, especially if it covers many categories, is going to cause ALL items to get more views, which means more sales. Every time I put 20 items up for sale on ebay, I get offers on other items that may have been sitting around for months. And if you add items consistently, the older items are going to have an even better chance of selling, again - because of the new views;i.e-people see your new items and then view 'by seller' and find your others.

And that is if you do nothing with the 'stale' items except let them just sit.

But think whatever you want. We've heard these complaints hundreds of times here - you have plenty of company.