View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default My T206 Cobb stories

I once bought 2 PSA graded Cobbs - bat on & green portrait - both with Hindu backs from a prominent t206 historian... they both turned out to be rebacked and I got my $ back. I worked 5 mins away from Mastro's when they were in Burr Ridge, IL. I'll always be greatful to Pete Calderon (he was at Mastro's at that time) & to Bill for being completely confident they were rebacked & helping me get my $ back. Again, I stress they were both PSA graded (w # grades, not authentic).

20 some years ago REA auctioned a group of 5 Cobb backs that were found in an old book. I bought 2 of them and sold them shortly after for nice profits. Doh!!!

In the early 90's I was at a show in Ft Washington and came across a red port Cobb with a Red Hindu back. I counted out $3k in cash to buy it but before I handed the dealer the $ my dad (who was w me) talked me out of it saying it was a bad buy... the dealer turned around and auctioned it in Mastro's where it sold for $6600. Some 10 years later I came across it again, but in a PSA 4 slab & the dealer wanted $10k for it. So I agreed to do a deal w a friend, selling my d304 Cobb & Rose PC Cobb to raise cash to buy the Red Hindu. A year or 2 later I sold the Red Hindu in REA.

I used to own a t206 Uzit bat off Cobb. Sold it privately, too soon.

I bought a Drum t206 Red port Cobb off eBay 10 or 15 yrs ago that was in a PRO holder... rolling the dice, I paid $2k. I again visited Mastro's and Bill and another guy there (I forgot his name) were confident it was rebacked... I sold it for $250 to a friend telling him it was rebacked.

My most recent t206 Cobb purchase is the "famous" Lenox back Red Portrait from the incredible & insane BST thread here on Net54. It also was auctioned 2 times in Heritage but not meeting the very high reserves. After I received it I showed the guys at REA (at the National) as well as the SGC booth (and they stood by their initial grade of it). It is my favorite card I own and I won't make the mistake of selling it quickly.

I have more stories including a rebacked Carolina Brights Cobb, Am Beauty Cobb bat off, etc.

Be careful if you're buying a rare back t206. All the rebacked Cobbs I bought were over 10 years ago and prices have exploded since then. A 2nd opinion (or even a 3rd) is a wise move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1022.JPG (58.9 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1021.JPG (21.0 KB, 536 views)