View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Default Bonds exposed: Shadows details superstar slugger's steroid use

Posted By: DJ

This is silly: Why is Bonds a "nasty human being," among the other unflattering adjectives that have been used? What has Bonds done to anybody on this Board?

Sure he hasn't done anything to this board...safe to say Bonds probably doesn't care about this Board, but has anyone ever heard anything flattering about the guy?

I have had the displeasure of meeting him three times and there's this uncomfortable feeling being around him and he was a complete jerk on every occasion. It's like you simply expect something bad to happen...like someone coughing and him causing an explosian of some sorts. He rules the world. He is in charge of everything it seems.

Even in the new book (more arguments here), the authors say that Bonds treated basically everyone like crap and bossed everyone around with explatives...or else threatened them. His Giants teammates cannot even talk to him and does anyone remember his short lived relationship with Gary Sheffield who told a tale of where Sheffield wanted to do something nice for Bonds in surprising him with free tickets to an event, but Bonds treated Sheffield like "junk" and ruined his surprise and Bonds purchased better tickets to the same event? Sheffield had nothing nice to say about him and he was a shortlived friend and Shef is down to earth and dispite front office problems, is actually a rather nice guy.

Bonds reportedly threatened his girlfriend after she arrived late for a rendezvous by saying, "If you ever (expletive) pull some (expletive) like that again I'll kill you, do you understand me?"--this according to the new book.

Seven deadly sins (and how not to be a public figure):

Pride? He has that in abundance. What else could move someone to claim he doesn't use steroids because, "I'm a good enough ballplayer as it is. I don't need to be any better. I can't get any better at this age."
Envy? If a new book alleging rampant use of performance enhancing drugs is accurate, envy is what precipitated this whole thing — he hated seeing Mark McGwire get all the attention.
Lust? Naturally. The book tells of extramarital activity and mistresses on the road.
Anger? Just try asking him about steroids. You can also read how he treated his trainer and others with contempt and sometimes rage.
Greed? There's that, too — greed for glory, greed for records.
Sloth? You couldn't say he's lazy. Still, he reportedly preferred human growth hormones because they allowed him to keep his physique without the drudgery of long workouts.

DJ