View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Totally Biased, but....

I am a life long Clemente collector. I was never a huge sports fan nor did I get to see him play (that I can recall - I was 6 when he died). I became interested because even when I started collecting, his cards were worth more than common players, some of the "headlines of his life" were amazing, his cards were in a multitude of cool regional and test issues.

Clemente cards have definitely risen in popularity (and price). I believe much more rapidly than some of his statistical contemporaries. As has been touched on - In addition to him being a great player (Gold gloves, multiple time all star All Star, Batting leader, MVP, 2 world series, 3000 hits), the story of him working his ass off for the love of the game and making it to a professional level - is the fulfillment of what many a child has dreamed of, His breaking through early on of a barrier first broken a few years earlier by Jackie, and his need to deal with all the associated bs and his ability to handle and rise above it and the crazy circumstances surrounding his death while committing a huge act of compassion and selflessness I suspect will continue to push Clemente up the collected charts for a while to come.

I've heard talk of a movie for years - glad to hear it may be truly under way!

Clemente beyond being a great player - was a great role model - something SORELY lacking with many (not all)great athletes since. Just a really unique combination of great athlete and great human being.

Last edited by hcv123; 07-10-2018 at 07:40 PM.