View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 09:45 AM

Hi, Seth--You are too kind. I've taken the liberty to display my Pressley-Pritchard.

Jason--Your research is not insubstantial, and is very much on the mark. Those of us who collect these cards are ALL obsessed, I'm afraid!

One of the interesting elements of this period in So. Minor League card history is the amount of misinformation that was circulated as if it were true. There was no iron-clad way to check facts in 1909-1911 and a number of player inaccuracies, like the attribution of Red Booles, abound. Some of the inaccuracies were due to typos created by the typesetters who prepared the type from which the cards were printed.

An excellent excellent example is Shag Shaughnessy. His T206 card lists his name accurately, but his T209-2 card identifies him as Shanghnessy. There is a fairly simple explanation for this. In the printer's type case, the lower case -n is the slot directly above the lower case -u. When type is redistributed (put back into the case) after a printing job is complete, it is not uncommon for an occasional lower case -n to end up in the lower case -u slot. This must have been the situation when Shaughnessy's T209-2 ID was created--a stray -n was in the -u slot. No one bothered to check for typos, and Shag had a new surname for posterity!

Cheers,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PresleyPritchard .jpg (80.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Shag cropped.jpg (50.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Shag 209-2 .jpg (74.0 KB, 63 views)