View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 07:50 PM
David Kathman

Here's my best shot at a transcription:

Austin, Texas
3-27-39

Mr. Wagner

Yours of March 20th came while I was out of town. I am glad to hear from you again. You did not mention that book of yours I still have so I am inclosing my check for $5.00 for it, as I figure you are weaned away from it by now. If this check sticks to your fingers, then I'll know everything is agreeable.

Yes I need several of the Generals and inclose a list of them I need. Please send me all you can.

Now I can use some duplicates too as I have located a couple of fellows who will swap with me for some they need. Also I have had an enquiry for cigarette pictures such as those you sent me on approval - which I kept for several weeks then returned to you. Now just bundle up a lot of stuff and send it on to me - all you want to send. I will immediately pay you for the booklets I need but please let me have the other items you may send - even duplicate booklets of Generals or the Poor Boy or Actor series or what ever title they're known by. (Poor boys who became famous - booklets!) You pick each item or set of items as you did before, and if you can get that party to turn loose the bunch of 25 you spoke of - let me know what these will cost and I'll see if I can handle 'em. I am still pepped up about these little booklets. Send me another bundle of all items you can send. The cards or pictures - I wish you'd give me at least 30 days time on, in order to have time for me to find out if my party can use any of it. I personally am not warmed up to the pictures as far.

I like your point of view in regards to parties who are ignorant of real values, yet imagine some scandalous prices are paid, yet some parties would not give 1/20 of what they ask. But no use fooling with such birds, any way; it takes some of the kick out of collecting. All collectors like to get what they think is a bargain - that's the fun of it.

I am always glad to hear from you and am happy to know you are thinking of me. What else do you have? I run into lots of collectors traveling around Texas: such as book collectors, stamp collectors, arrow head collectors, guns, glass in fact the whole run of 'em. Speaking of stamps - right now a fellow wrote me to get him some #33 U.S. 3c unperforate or covers. Got any?

Sincerely,
Frank Caldwell
108 East 17th
Austin, Texas

Last edited by trdcrdkid; 06-13-2016 at 10:17 AM.