View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 01:09 PM
James M.

Default One of my collecting Goals has been accomplished

To provide a little backstory to this: As a younger collector, I discovered the Living Legends series by Ron Lewis. I was pretty enamored when I was a child and swore up and down that I would one day complete the set. Fast-forward about a decade and a half later I started acquiring them one by one. Starting with Mantle, Mays and Snider, eventually getting Killebrew, Berra and Matthews. I was mainly missing the big name of Koufax, and vowed if I saw one come up for a good price I would nab it, and continue to hunt them one by one.

Well something incredible happened the other day. I saw the entire set go up on Ebay. All signed by the players, some signed by Ron Lewis as well. The Seller seemed reputable as all the other Signatures he was selling were given the approval by PSA or JSA. The Ron Lewis set however was not authenticated. The Mantle looked good. It looked identical to the one I already owned that's authentic. I was mainly concerned about the Koufax. I reached out to CaseyAtTheBat asking him if he wouldn't mind lending his eye to see if the signature was good. To which he replied almost immediately that it looked solid. Casey I cannot thank you enough for the quick response! To do all my due-diligence, I additionally reached out to Richard Simon who for a small fee did the same and confirmed the Koufax looked authentic.

After a bit of negotiating with the seller, we settled on a price. Additionally he happily agreed to send it via registered mail. The box was a little banged up, but the contents inside were perfect. I'll provide more high quality scans later but I was too excited to arrange and put this together. These are only temporary means of protection, as I need recommendations on what the best way to protect and store this set. I'll stop my rambling, here it is in all its glory.