View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Nicklaus

I wanted to make one more comment as it appears I was mistaken. It does appear that Nicklaus has been signing through the Golden Bear / Palm Beach address recently. As I doubted Jimjim I wanted to say publicly that I was wrong. I do however still have some doubts about the feathering on the ball, but he probably doesn't sign too many baseballs and it could just be an ink that is not the best for leather.

I will say that as a golf collector for over 25 years, the info about autopen photos stating on the back that they are autopen is not correct. Some of the newer versions do have this marking on the back, but many of the ones signed in the 70's, 80's and 90's have no such marking. You can easily tell as it is the exact same signature with only subtle differences. Generally very shaky and even in ink flow like every autopen.

Bottom line is much like Hogan in his later years, Nicklaus appears to be signing by mail for the time being. This could be brief so stamp your envelopes quickly. I will add that through my research, all of the items I have seen signed recently have been personalized to the recipient. Jason