Thread: Ty Cobb
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
cyseymour

I am ignoring the bad simply because I want to see the good people see in him...no I am not buying any Cobb cards for long while. My goals for the summer are to add 20 cards to my 1952 Topps set and 2 or 3 new PSA 8 Mantle cards to my master set...again no Cobb.

Post # 14
"In 1907 during spring training in Augusta, Georgia, a black groundskeeper named Bungy, whom Cobb had known for years, attempted to shake Cobb’s hand or pat him on the shoulder." The "overly familiar greeting infuriated" Cobb, who attacked Bungy. When Bungy's wife tried to defend him, Cobb choked her.

In 1908, Cobb attacked a black laborer in Detroit who complained when Cobb stepped into freshly poured asphalt; Cobb was found guilty of battery but the sentence was suspended.

He once slapped a black elevator operator for being "uppity." When a black night watchman intervened, he pulled out a knife and stabbed him. The matter was later settled out of court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Cobb

There's a little history you might not find in his self-promotional autobiography.