View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Bargains

I don't know about anyone else, but when I go to the National I am not looking for bargains. I am looking for items that fit my collection. There are some outrageous prices at the National, but many of the items that I was looking for were reasonable, especially when you compare the National prices to some of the eBay museum BIN's. I bought a nice Weil Baking card from Ed Hans. He had it marked at $100 and I bought it for $85. Now, I usually won't pay $85 for a D329, but this was a nice card and I wanted it for my collection. Once in a while on eBay I can get a graded Weil in this condition for $40 to $65, but most of the Weil's on eBay are $150 to $300. Most of them have been listed on eBay for several years, and the sellers are not willing to come down much on price. So, for me, I am very happy with the price.

Ed had 13 (I think), T213-2's, all reasonably priced. I already had all of them in my set, so I didn't buy any. Another dealer had 5 T213-2's, again all at good prices, but I had all 5. One dealer had 3 of them for $25 each, very low grade. I have all of them, but I regret not picking them up at that price. 707 had several, which were priced high, and again, I have all the ones that 707 had.

One dealer had a decent T213-2 Cobb for $950. I wish I had made him an offer for it, but I was going through a "cheap" moment so I moved on. It was a nice card for the grade and I thought it was a good price for a Cobb.

So, there were some good deals around, but it took a lot of searching to find them.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.