View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

yes this "course" was being offered by a private marketing company I think. During the class the one of the guys ( a professional auctioneer/flea marketer) held up several Old Judge,T206, and Topps reprints that looked real from a distance. He explained to people what type of wording to use in their listing when selling "old baseball" cards. the phrase Estate Sale came up alot. When someone asked him if the cards he was holding were real he danced around the question and kept saying. In your listing you can just put "for Sale" Cap Anson baseball card....he then proceeded to answer the question with a question " how do you know it's not real if you find it at an estate sale? " There are 3 large Flea Markets within 10 miles of me, and I go to one of them once a month. One of the former big card dealers that set up at traders world was busted I believe a few years back for removing SGC graded T206's and replacing them with computer printoffs he made on his laser printer. He was nailed by someone he tried selling a Cobb card to I think.
I don't think Ebay has a financial interest in trying to stop these people at all. As a matter of fact I wonder now if Ebay will even look the same a year from now. Fox business network reported the other day that key employees are "jumping ship" this year from the company to pursue other ventures. I found it odd they used the term Jumping ship. I've heard Ebay was laying people off and streamlining, but maybe they are in trouble like alot of other companies. I liked the old days when only a small percentage of listings were BIN. Todays Ebay is just floooded with overpriced stodge as far as pre-war stuff goes. Everyones poop is for sale at ridiculously high prices....very few deals are to be found, and try making someone a "best offer" mine have all been refused - 100% of them. Ebay has changed since I first joined way back in 1995 or '96, and I say not for the better.