View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Bob Andrews

B79F2CA4-09C8-4A53-A0BA-C60433F1062C.jpg
Christy Mathewson is from Factoryville, Pa. From the late 50s to the late 60s I spent much of my summer vacations there staying with my Aunt Mary and Uncle Al. There isn't much in or around Factoryville. Mostly we sat on their front porch up on that hill and enjoyed the views of valleys and trees. At night my uncles and my Dad would go to the one bar in the area. They would take me and some of my cousins when we were teens and many intense bar shuffleboard games ensued. That's where I learned to appreciate pickled eggs from a jar and Hires root beer from a bottle.

My Uncle Al was probably the only other collector in my extended family. He had a few cards but mostly he collected baseball publications He loved books, guides and magazines. When he passed on some years ago my aunt sent me a box of his stuff. Nothing extraordinary but all of it priceless...to me.

I remember those summer days in the northeast Pennsylvania hills when I look at this card.

It’s raw and ragged but it was my first T206 purchased when I got a job and was making money. Might have cost $15 or $20.

Last edited by commishbob; 03-16-2018 at 04:10 PM.