View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Fred

It sounds like your nephew doesn't have a collection yet. Perhaps you should check with him and ask him honestly how he feels about the hobby. I know a few people that show an interest in hobby when I talk about it because they see how much I enjoy it. However, if I asked them if they wanted to start a collection they'd probably pass.

If the nephew does like the idea then why not start him off with the players he may be familiar with and has followed. Note that you shouldn't be surprised if he likes McCutchen and Cole in lieu of Dave Parker and Roberto Clemente.

Find out how far back his interest goes. If he goes back to the 79 Pirates team then look for cards of players that played on that team. If he really seems interested in Pirates history then why not include a couple of HOF Pirates. For example, the Waner bros are relatively inexpensive. See if old Pirates players piques his curiosity more. If he's a true nut case like the rest of us on this board then he'll dive in deep and quickly.

Note, I was a collecting fool until I graduated from high school. Then there was the four years of education where I just put collecting aside because drinking beer, chicks and other things got in the way of collecting (and the collecting budget).

After I graduated and got a "real job" it was "game on" and I bought all kinds of stuff, but then again, I was a collecting fool well before I got out of high school.

Sad to say, my kids know I enjoy these little pieces of cardboard but they have no interest in this stuff, AT ALL. Perhaps your nephew is different. If so, count your blessings and get him moving in the right direction and enjoy that connection with him.