Thread: Card Budget
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Kev1n @1les

I set annual collecting goals - i.e this year was to get '54 and '55 Bowman as well as the 59-63 Fleers and some Red Man sets.

Over the last 5 years, I have averaged between 10-15k per year.

Bonus comes in February and I set aside a big portion of this during that time. I also feed my "secondary account" $100 a paycheck and I get any mileage and reimbursement from work into that account.

In the last couple of years, I buy 75-85% of my annual purchases between February - April I then have an upgrade list that I work on the rest of the year.

If I put aside 5-7 grand from my bonus and spend 12 grand during those months (driven largely by the spring auctions), I will pull the overage from my savings account and then pay myself back throughout the year with the extra stuff that I described above.

Unfortunately, I have an unhealthy relationship with my cards so I am reticent to sell any doubles from my upgrades, so every purchase is "new money".

As I get deeper into the set run, I find that the up front investment is much higher or the upgrade list is much longer. So far the system has worked with the Mrs, and she did get some things on her want list this spring which helps ease some of the tension. She doesn't love it, however, and it is cause for budget renegotiation during every bonus season.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set