View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Jay Cee

A majority of us starting collecting as kids. As we learn and start to earn more income, our taste change. For me, I started back in the 70s. Next thing you know I'm buying 60s and 50s issues. Then I start on the "type cards" from the 50s (Red Heart, Dan Dee, Meyer, etc..) Next thing you know I'm buying pre war cards. What's after that? 19th century and rare type cards of early 20th century. Now, what? Let's start buying HOFers and rookie cards. Plus, let's look for market nitches like Post Cards, Supplements, newspapers, etc..

Never wanted to collect autographs, bats, gloves, jerseys, etc... As they seemed more like social status items for the wealthy to display.

So, my hunch is that there are many new collectors/investors entering into the hobby with money. I think in time they will get more educated on all the items above, and their taste will change. No doubt the HOFers from the 50s are red hot now, and I think it's only the beginning. Population reports should be used more on many issues and supply and demand will ultimately prevail.... The question is when?

Many advanced collectors do not like to share knowledge which actually hurts the long term value of super rare items and it limits the number buyers when a piece comes up for sale. It's also nice too see advanced collectors write articles and books to educate people and most of the time it's after they are done with their collecting of the subject matter they discussed.

I think Leon (Hi Leon) would have gained 50% more off his auction proceeds had he wrote an book a year or two earlier on type cards and scarcity. He probably would have labelled it "Its too rare, for its own good". Samething with Terry Knouse (Hi Terry) if he wrote a 19th century book and the title might be "Last I checked, they are not making anymore of these".

Last edited by BeanTown; 05-15-2016 at 11:40 AM.