View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
IMO, surpass? No. Challenge? No, and I don't even think Gretzky is even in the conversation when compared to Ruth - no way to even consider he would pass Ruth in memorabilia supremacy. Not even the same ballpark/rink. I'm a big hockey fan but the demand will not be there.

All things being equal relative to rarity - lets say hypothetically there was only one example existing of each athletes uniform - Ruth wins hands down. Add on top of that that I would imagine several rookie uniform examples exist for both Jordan and Gretzky.
Interesting. I agree with your view on Gretzky, but Jordan has a fanbase unlike any other athlete on the planet. His appeal goes worldwide. I was thinking that down the line when all of the younger fans who watched him play are near retirement age and have expandable income, his stuff will skyrocket.

Then again, Babe Ruth was the first true sports icon/celebrity ever and not only plays a huge role in sports history but also in American and pop culture history as well. He was the face of one of the most prosperous and important decades in American history.

That's why I can really see this both ways and was interested in hearing what others thought about it. Thanks for your response.