View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Wow that Horner is amazing! The clarity on those is just jaw dropping. Love the hair with the parting down the middle.

From the same time period....Here's an item that after extensive research have not seen another (would be very interested to know if anyone else has). Didn't even see one in the Dreier collection. Measuring 2'9" x 13" x 9.5" this Cracker Jack crate was used to ship 100 cartons from the Rueckheim Bros. & Eckstein factory in Chicago. Stamped on the top "C.F. Narhold Co Cleveland" and "Neumeyer & Beach C-O Park Chippewa Lake OH" both candy manufacturers and creameries and were likely business destinations for the sweet confections during the life of the crate. I believe these crates were used to deliver the cartons and possibly unloaded and brought back to the factory to re-use. The wood is very light weight which makes it even more remarkable that this survived 100+ years. On all sides you have red and black writing that is has been stamped into the wood. The metal hinges are functional but missing some screws and both hinges and screws look old to the period. Would love to know if anyone knows anything more about these crates!
I wonder if I can find anything out about these. My fiancee is from Seville, OH, which is right next to Chippewa Lake. In fact it's a 2 minute drive from her house to the actual Chippewa Lake, which used to be a booming lake with an amusement park and everything. Her family has lived in that area for A LONG time.

Excellent, excellent pickup.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame