View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 07:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Baseball cards have always been different than most other paper collectibles related to restoration. I can't tell you how it all started, but that's the current situation.

As far as cards vs comics with relation to pressing, I think it has to do with the thickness of the paper involved. With baseball cards the graders have usually been able to tell when a baseball card corner has been pressed down. With something as thin as a comic, I doubt it would be easy to detect.

I thought it was interesting what they say on the CGC website regarding pressing for comics:

"CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration. Read more on the CGC website. CGC also does not consider dry cleaning to be restoration, which we automatically include in our pressing service when necessary. Dry cleaning’s main purpose is to remove soiling or unwanted substance or writing from a cover, particularly in the white areas. Dry cleaning does not remove tanning, stains, pen or marker, sun shadows or foxing. If we feel your book’s grade would benefit from a dry cleaning, we will automatically perform this during the press process."
If PSA was smart, they would offer in house doctoring I mean restoration services themselves. Vertical integration. Imagine the website: X has three decades of experience doctoring cards, and has doctored some of the most famous cards in history. His expertise ranges from Old Judges to T206s to Goudeys to Topps. PSA is pleased to offer his services to our customers at a reasonable charge.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-22-2024 at 07:43 PM.