View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Default Talking about escalating values - M101-4/5 backs

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I would term it escalating prices, not value. I was the underbidder on that Block&Kuhl, which I believe would have gone even higher had it been properly slotted on the Old Cardboard website--it is more difficult than Burgess Nash and Indy Brewing and way more difficult than the Gimbel's and Morehouse Baking.

I personally believe that type collectors are getting involved in the m101 chase, but it's the speculators that are or will be turning it into a frenzy. Sure there are some backs that are really scarce, but as you know, the demand has not been there. Pre-war "investors" are quick to liken it to the T206 back scarcity chase, when demand for these will never be the same as what exists for that set. Certainly there is no one trying to put together a complete set of any of these scarce backs, so either the m101 set itself lures them in, they're type collectors, or they just invest in scarce pre-war. My money says its the last group bidding up most of these. Sadly, for those of us just chasing the set, it raises the bar dramatically, but I suspect those collecting other pre-war sets have experienced the same thing over the past 2-3 years.