View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default 1914 Cracker Jack set

Posted By: John

Scott first of all no I’m not some guy off ebay out for revenge against you so put your “pookyfish” back wear it belongs. John is a pretty common name and I’m a board member who simply disagrees with your view on the value of these cards. I have even raised an spirited discussion asking to give some insight on how you came to this monumental price tag.

That’s it I disagree. If you read my first post it was more as a question to any of you on why you feel it was such a deal. Why you also felt it was worth so much more than the 800k-sale price. It was only after you starting lecturing me on business and how people will sell goods for more than half off there value that I got heated. Once again the reasons you have given to answer my questions don’t make any sense to me and I have the right to disagree. I also don’t feel I’m the only one who feels your “conservative” value is a bit over valued, but maybe I stand alone with the few who have agreed with me.

I also “comprende'?????????????????” very well. I don’t know why you are so defensive about someone disagreeing with you, or asking for more reasons to back up your claims of real market value on this set of cards.

What you have failed to prove to me, or what I strongly disagree with you on are the following items.

1.)That this set by being put into holders today will bring nearly three times as much as it sale price of 800k virtually overnight.
2.)That Mastro or anybody for that matter would take a small amount of profit vs. the actual value. (A) Because it would take to much time & money to put together an auction. (B) Because they would not have the flexibility to sit on the working capitol until the final sale was completed. (C) It would be easier to make a little money vs. a lot of money to move it to a GOOD client. All of which are reasons you have given to us on why this set was sold for 800k vs. the 2 million that you and Greg feel “conservatively” its worth.
3.)That this set is in any way worth more on the open market as compared to the Harris set. Or should I say that it would have a higher break value on this 144 cards set vs. 520 cards in the Harris set.
4.)That the Jackson card would even come close to your 500k value I have to disagree.

So I raise one more question if you and Greg had to purchase this set of cards tomorrow to sell right away not keep, and you could purchase them for between 800k and 1 million dollars. Do you truly feel you could make the 500k to 1 million dollars in profit now that the cards are slabbed? Because that’s basically what both of you have claimed. See below.

And If this is the case why would any of the parties involved in this sale throw away the exposure and potential extra $$$$?

Scott Elkins Writes:
This was a steal for the person who bought this!
The Jackson has to be worth at least $500k+++ - GEM MINT!!!!!

Greg Schwartz Writes:
I would agree that conservatively the set is worth a million in a half bucks, based on condition, scarcity and importance of the set.

Scott Elkins Writes:
I have to agree with Greg - this set together is worth at LEAST 1.5 Million Dollars! Sold Seperately, who knows - definitely should fetch over $2 Million!

Scott Elkins Writes:
With that in mind, and this set a higher grade, it should be VERY EASY for you guys/gals to comprehend that my estimate of $1.5-$2 Million is probably very accurate!