View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
in 1989 i bought 50 ken griffey jr. donruss rated rookie cards from an ad in a magazine for about 2.5 dollars apiece, 125 dollars as i thought he might do something in the big leagues because his name and the fact he was getting some hype.

i thought i would get rich when his hof career ended and each card would be worth 5o-75 bucks or more.

they reached about 7 or 8 dollars at their peak, then fell back down to about 2.5 dollars again as there are millions of them out there.

A guy can hit over 600 homers and have a rookie card worthless. his upper deck rc, which went over 100, came crashing back to earth too.

I sold these 50 for a loss as I got about 125 dollars, but had to throw in a 89 UD set and a Griffey San Bernadino Spirit minor league set and a 1989 fleer set too. I couldn't give them away. I listed them about 10 times on ebay before I got one lonely bid. They made millions of these cards.

I remember the hobby publications back then had full page advertisements showing a kid holding a griffey rookie advertising "The Ken Griffey Jr. college fund"! They were pushing their card brand with Griffey leading the way. Insinuating that if you stocked up on their Griffey rookie cards when your kid was young, your kid would be in the catbird seat when it was time to go to college. Harvard, here we come!

college fund - Maybe if you plan on attending the college of hard knocks. Sad.
What shocks me is that the 89 UD Griffey still has some value despite being heavily produced in millions/billions. A PSA 9 still goes for $50 a piece, I know I had to shell out $50 when I bought mine last year.