View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default The 2006 National

Posted By: Rhys

The ultimate question is this. WHO IS THE NATIONAL FOR ANYWAYS. It used to be for the collectors and buyers, but today is is produced for the dealers and Auction houses. Thus, the biggest problem with the National is its elitist mentality. Who here would rather have a 500 table show of professional dealers and Auction houses who each have to pay $1500 to set up, as opposed to a 2000 table show of collectors, dealers, and anyone who wants to set up and have a good time at about $200 per table? Most of the really good stuff I have ever got from shows has been from Joe Schmoe who has been doing this forever but just decided to set up at a show again and bring some of his stuff out, not from the same dealer who is always there.

Other collectibles go for volume and atmosphere when setting up an event like this, but for some reason the National goes for high end dealers and autograph guests and tries to limit numbers of dealers.

I would buy a table at the National EVERY year if it cost $200 and the show was MUCH bigger. So why dont we have this? Ask the big dealers who do not want the low overhead competition at these shows where people are itching to spend money. And who sets up the National? It is simple economics that benefits the big dealers and ultimately hurts the consumers and the hobby in general.

Just my opinion, but cut the table prices by about 75% and get 4 times the tables and I think the crowds will come.