View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I try to be positive with other auction companies. I think competition and cooperation are good. But I have to say the bolded statement above is one of the biggest cop-outs in the hobby and a huge pet peeve of mine. If you're not a grader maybe selling raw cards isn't for you?

You've got lots of incredible autographs, and some amazing graded items. Some of it far beyond the kind of stuff I've had consigned, but to say you are being helpful to bidders by giving them LESS useful information about exactly the kinds of items for which MORE information is warranted for bidders to make an intelligent decision, seems a little disingenuous at best.

Why not use the accepted grading nomenclature and give a range, especially on the sets? "Cards range from VG to EX/MT with a majority approx VG/EX with few creases" and then listing specific grades on key cards will go a LONG way towards making bidders feel comfortable on large raw purchases. Put yourself in the bidder's shoes, what kind of information would encourage you to bid?

Sorry, I really do wish you the best, and take the constructive criticism for what it's worth considering the source, but I pride myself on my honesty and ethics and I really believe you are doing your consignors and ultimately yourself a disservice. If you think this is uncalled for let me know and I'll remove it. But since you addressed my question publicly I feel it's OK to answer in the same fashion.
Truth. I’ve written several thousand vintage sets and always 1.) give an approximate condition breakdown; 2.) detail conditions of high numbers (if warranted) and 3.) give individual key grades. Since going this route 12+ years ago I’ve maybe had 5-10 returns? Bidders certainly appreciate it!

Last edited by Orioles1954; 11-08-2019 at 08:17 PM.