View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

As far as 'types', how about 'the historian'?

I suspect that even a pure dealer, like Rich describes, might fall into the above category. I doubt anyone starts flipping cards purely to make money, without having some interest in vintage cards. I know from personal experience that the toughest problem with buying/selling anything that's related to your hobby is growing too attached to your inventory. So perhaps Rob Veres has solved that problem and still gets to enjoy looking at lots of cool cards. There are a few guys on this board who are respected as historians and who handle a LOT of cool items, but I've spoken with them and know that they practice 'catch and release' almost exclusively.

My problem the last time around was the exact opposite of 'getting too attached'. I just love learning about stuff, and lithograph cards have always fascinated me - I would get very excited about seeing a card, study the hell out of it, then lose interest and trade/sell it. I have done the same thing with various other hobbies. It's led to lots of fun research and getting some of the research published, but my collection is generally quite small.

But collectors who don't know my type will just lump us in with the 'flippers'

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2011 at 03:56 PM.