View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Default Bob P - please get your facts straight

Posted By: Anonymous

Quoting...He sadly broke down in the Belmont Stakes, never to race again. Big Red was way too much."
The above is from:
"http://thoroughbred-racing.suite101.com/article.cfm/1973_kentucky_derby_all_big_red>">

You are quoting a comment to a blog entry, hardly a verifiable source of information, which the commenter is blantantly wrong. I'd be happy to put you in touch with a noted horse racing writer who was working in New York at the time of Secretariat and can set the record straight for you.

Quoting...An odd breakdown at the Belmont for Sham. In July after the Belmont a hairline fracture was found in his leg so he was retired."
http://alexbrownracing.com/wiki/index.php/Sham>

Again, you choose to quote another blog, unverified sources.

Quoting...The chart comment for Sham's Belmont trip was not "eased" but rather "stopped badly", which may be indicative of an injury.

It's obvious you haven't done much running in your life...haven't you ever run too fast and run out of breath or your legs just wouldn't take you any faster? Does this mean you broke your leg? Certainly not.

Had Sham actually been injured in the Belmont, the injury would have been apparent to any trainer even while walking. Sham's trainer was Frank Martin, who was long one of the leading trainers in the industry. Sham would have been taken out of training immediately. Had he actually had a hairline fracture - a small one would have healed in six weeks, though the horse would have have been able to be trained or walked during that time.

Again, all I am pointing out is that you are making blanket statements about horse racing that are not based on fact, and you are backing up your statements with erroneous information. It's quite clear to me that you consider yourself an animal activist which I actually respect and applaud, however you also seem to have such a closed mind that you live in a separate reality, one that you feel you can pick and choose whatever sources back up your point of view. The world is not black and white.

Your posts in other animal related forums reflect this as well - one sided.

Horse racing has its problems, but I do what I can to help bring about change from the inside.

You aren't going to change my point of view on horse racing, nor am I going to change yours, but I will listen to your points if you state facts, not one sided opinions.

That is called EXTREMEISM.

This is the last I will write on this subject - you're welcome to have the last word...and I know you will...then let this thread die.