View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default 1939 Baseball Centennial "Special Exhibition of Baseball Souvenirs"

Posted By: Rob D.

While searching through boxes in response to another post (Jodi, I'm coming up empty but am still looking), I came across something kind of interesting.

I picked up this 20-page pamphlet in the early days of eBay (1997 or '98). It's a program for a "Special Exhibition of Baseball Souvenirs" that was hosted by a DeSoto-Plymouth car dealership in Los Angeles in conjunction with the Baseball Centennial, in 1939.

I scanned two inside pages to provide an idea of the eclectic collection of exhibits that were on display. (Note the owner of exhibit No. 136.)

One of the pages I did not scan has this description of exhibit No. 150, which was loaned by "Joe E. Brown, Motion Picture Star":

Babe Ruth bat, 1931, 60 home runs; last shirt worn by Ty Cobb; last mitt Roger Bresnahan used in Major League; copy of first baseball book by Henry Chadwick; cap worn by Eddie Collins in 1917 World Series; shirt worn by Dizzy Dean in 1934 World Series; pitchers' mound, Detroit World Series, 1934; shoes worn by Tris Speaker, 1920 World Series; glove used by Herb Pennock, 1927 World Series; bat carried by Hans Wagner, 1900 to 1914; letter from Eddie Collins to Joe E. Brown.

Joe E. Brown, the Charlie Sheen of his day.