View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Default My T206 Plank theory....and, what's your guess ?

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Yes Ted, Wright is in 33 Goudey, but so are over 200 other players, most of the players in the majors. So it doesn't equate to the 25 to 30 card E sets. His presence in 33 Goudey almost proves my point, he IS in it, but isn't in the smaller Diamond Stars.

And Barry, Jackson's meager stats but presence in E90-1 gets us right back to Ted's first post, Joe J was an Athletic then, with that local Philadelphia area interest. I suspect if Jackson had come up with a St. Louis team then he'd not have been in E90-1. Jackson as an Athletic in E90-1 bolsters Ted's point.

Johnson's T206 portrait is in the 150 series and the 350 series; ready to pitch in 350 and 460. This contrasts with Evers Cubs which is in 150, Evers portrait in 150 and 350, and Evers Chicago in 350 and 460. The idea is that Evers got a new card each step of the way. Johnson didn't, he wasn't considered as much of a star in 1909.

Players were chosen based on what they'd done a few years earlier, how stellarly the public perceived them. Even when a player was chosen for inclusion there was a delay while the card was designed, printed, distributed to the cigarette factories, and eventually inserted into packages. At the time Johnson was a good young pitcher with a losing record. So I think that's why he's not in 25 and 30 card sets in 1908 to 1910.

And happy holidays to all...