View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdelpercio View Post
Very interesting thread, Barry. I have also been interested in the origins of the photos in this set and the lithography process. Here is a card from my collection. Note the typed or stamped marking on top, "Van Oeyen Photo, 1907". I'm assuming that this refers to Louis Van Oeyen, who was the official photographer for the American League for a few years during that period and worked mainly out of the Cleveland area.

If the photo is correctly dated as 1907, it would seem that there was sometimes a span of a few years between the photo and card production as this is a 350 Series card. Hoffman actually played for New York in 1907 so the caption on the card may be inaccurate or perhaps they just changed the artwork to reflect the St. Louis uniform. At any rate, this is at least an interesting lead towards another photographer who may be responsible for many T206 images.
I have this card similar to Marc's, front has typed stating Weasbar? (Buf) Photo 1906 (6 in pencil rest typed). Back has in light pencil W Gasnor (Buff) photo. Not quite sure what these notes mean, any insite would be appreciated.

Last edited by rp12367; 12-10-2011 at 02:50 PM.