View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Part of your information is incorrect. They won't fit in the Derby Cigar packs and most collectors who have studied and held them known it. I have probably owned 30 of the 35'ish known to the hobby. Lew said he found one in a Derby Cigar box and that is the only reason they are associated with the Derby brand (and the packs have similar colors to the cards). Anyone who said they found one in a pack is telling a fib in my humble opinion, unless the card was put in the pack much after production. But they don't have anything to do with Derby except for the urban myth started in the encyclopedia and carried forward. If you look closely at the "whatever it is" pictured with the players in the first post you will also notice the lack of black borders on the inner part of the pictures. My guess is they were issued as strips but I am definitely not sure. I should add I realize the information quoted above is second hand and just being used in dicussion, but since acquiring some of the packs and many of the cards, I don't believe the original information was correct. "Derby" is fine until we know more but I don't think there will be any way they are associated...

Patrick is correct with the quote from Lew's book, I don't see where Lew said he found one in a box unless Leon has seen another quote from Lew somewhere else.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13