View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Hi Dan,

Lew Lipset put the Derby Cigar cards in a section called "Cinderalla Cards" in his Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, Volume 3 20th Century Tobacco Cards--1909-1932.

On page 103 Lew states, "Finally, we place a group of cards that have been associated with Derby Cigars in the Cinderella cataegory. These cards measure 1 3/4" X 2 3/4" and have no printed advertising. One collector has indicated he foound one in a Derby Cigar box, which is the appropriate size. If it could be shown more conclusively that these cards were issued in or with Derby Cigars, these card would be deserving of a separate listing."

In this case, I would say that the glass slipper doesn't fit Cinderella!

If these cards were "cutout" of a period scorecard or perhaps were a supplement inside a scorecard then I would consider them similar to the notebook covers that were later cut up which shared the images of the E96 set.

Patrick
Part of your information is incorrect. They won't fit in the Derby Cigar packs and most collectors who have studied and held them know it. I have probably owned 30 of the 35'ish known to the hobby. Lew said he found one in a Derby Cigar box and that is the only reason they are associated with the Derby brand (and the packs have similar colors to the cards). Anyone who said they found one in a pack is telling a fib in my humble opinion, unless the card was put in the pack much after production. But they don't have anything to do with Derby except for the urban myth started in the encyclopedia and carried forward. If you look closely at the "whatever it is" pictured with the players in the first post you will also notice the lack of black borders on the inner part of the pictures. My guess is they were issued as strips but I am definitely not sure. I should add I realize the information quoted above is second hand and just being used in dicussion, but since acquiring some of the packs and many of the cards, I don't believe the original information was correct. "Derby" is fine until we know more but I don't think there will be any way they are associated...

Last edited by Leon; 12-14-2013 at 08:28 PM.