View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Default How to tell if cards are trimmed

Posted By: Rob

If a T206 has sharp corners and does not fit a PSA holder tightly, it's reasonable to suspect it's trimmed.

PRO graded cards are so infamous at grading trimmed cards that they are the same price for a trimmed T206 card as well often appearing obviously trimmed.

I had one T206 rightly rejected by PSA as trimmed as there was chipping on the white front left side edge due to a dull cutter. What is interesting is my T206 came from a seller who had sold a large number of T206's high grade appearing raw T206 cards on Ebay which DID get graded and sold on Ebay. Were any of those other cards trimmed? Seems likely.

PSA rejected a card I sent from an unsealed pack (non vintage issue) as being trimmed. I know for a fact that the card was not trimmed. PSA is far from 100% accurate in determining trimmed vs non trimmed cards.

If one were to do a statistical analysis of the grading distribution of T206 cards (which can be readily trimmed and get graded) vs. T205 cards (the usual dulled gold/oxidized borders will readily show trimmed edges) one might conclude 70% of cards graded 6-8 are trimmed. No doubt the percentage is somewhat lower, due to grader bias against colored corners, but even 1/3 of all high graded T206's seems unacceptable. If or when a mathematician analyzed PSA and SGC graded vintage card populations, and made that information widely available...it might call into question those 2-5K prices paid for PSA 8 T206's.

Bottom line: you should stick to crease free full sized cards with enough corner wear to merit a 5 EX grade, if you wish to avoid trimmed T206 cards.