View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 02:46 AM
Steve

Default Neat stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw View Post
I got the cards recently from an antique dealer friend in Pennsylvania. Another antique dealer purchased them in an estate - the cards were stored in an album of antique photographs for 50+ years (it looked like the album/cards were never touched in years). The back of the cards indicate that Mascot Dog Food was out of Philadelphia, not far from where the cards were found. Makes sense to see a Philadelphia Phillies player as the only known example. It would be great to find out more information about how long Mascot Dog Food was in business. Do you think these are so rare because anyone who had them would have sent them in for the great redemption package they offered or because the dog food company may have gone under? Maybe both, and maybe they were limited to begin with. In my research I have not found any cards other than the Roberts in the price guide and I have not found any of those other redemption items. Somewhere there must be information. I did find a couple web blogs where collectors indicated that it is a regional set they'd love to find, so some collectors must know about them. I never thought I would stumble upon a one of a kind Mantle card from the 1950s!
My question is - are these actual cardstock, or are they, as the promo blurb states, "printed on the label." If the "cards" are simply printed on can labels, it's more understandable that collectors would send them in for redemption and thus render them scarcer over time. But, the images of the cards you posted look like usual cardstock, so I'm curious. The puzzle of the number of cards in the issue: 8 vs 11, reminds me of the 1951 Topps Current All-Star set, with three cards with Philadelphia connections withdrawn from publication due to contractual concerns. I wonder if perhaps Mascot had poor sales, leading to early cancellation of the promotion, however, reading the label ingredients, the stuff sounds a lot more nutritious, if not tastier, than some of the MRE stuff I gagged on in the service.