View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 AM

Default Way back when

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Whether be trade or purchase, which tobacco T206 was your very first? This will be extremely difficult for some of the long time collectors but for some reason, I can remember mine from 1969.

Mine was Tom Downey Fielding. Possibly the most common card in the set but he was my 1st acquisition. .25 at a Motel room from a dealer.

Back in the old days, dealers would rent a Motel room and run an ad in the local paper for a weekend.

Dan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-SWEET-C...item4ab3c22e91
Like Dan, I got my first T206s back in the early days of the modern hobby, late 1971 or early 1972. Can't recall a "first card" because my introduction to T206 was a lot from hobby legend Wirt Gammon of Chattanooga, Tenn., something like 10 for $1, though I could be misremembering the details a bit. Going price was about .25-.35 then, but these were a bargain lot because the cards had little defects, mostly slightly clipped corners or corner creases. Otherwise they were beautiful clean cards. The only player I distinctly remember as part of this lot was Pryor McElveen because of his unusual name.
Bob Richardson