View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I just wanted to defend Higbee's since I have purchased a few items from them, namely basketball card sets. The thing is that there is a premium on eBay when you buy from a seller that has Top Seller or similarly high # of sales as opposed to a seller who has less than 100 rating. The same card may be available from each, but the one from the established seller will have a better price because the buy trusts them more. For example from Higbee's, I purchased a 77-78 basketball set from them, and when I received the set, a few of the cards (including the Alcindor) had dented corners. That was an extreme annoyance since the set is advertised as NM-MT. Of course, I realize when you buy sets like this, you're not going to get GEM 10's, but I'm expecting at least 6-7. So I wrote Higbee's and told them I was going to give them a neutral rating b/c it wasn't worth the cost to ship the set back to them since it didn't cost them much. However, Mike Higbee wrote me back and said that he wanted to make it up, and asked that I still send the dented cards back to him, and he would replace them with nicer cards. I did that, and he sent the nicer cards back immediately. I actually told him to wait on sending the cards since I could order something else, and he could send everything back at the same time. However, he didn't wait on me, but sent them back the same day the got the new cards. I actually did order another set from him (a recent baseball set for ~18 BIN), and unfortunately, he couldn't locate that one in stock. So, he refunded me the money, and still sent me a bonus set (something like a small basketball card set) for free. Granted that bonus was probably something he was having trouble moving anyway, but still it cost him money to ship it, and he didn't have to do it, so I'm still a grateful customer and would buy more items from him. I realize that some of his stuff is expensive, but some of it isn't, so any buyer just needs to compare the prices of what some of these guys have in stock. I know that not every high volume seller is like this, and that is terrible behavior from that guy selling that Demmit card.

This is opposed to a new seller, from whom I purchased a Magic Johnson/Larry Bird RC from. I bought the card over two weeks ago, and still have not received anything. I emailed him about this and he sent me a tracking number. That tracking number is still saying USPS shipping invoice received electronically, but this does not mean that the item has been received by the post office. I got the tracking number a week ago and the card was supposed to be shipped via Priority Mail. I messaged the guy again over the weekend and nothing. Now I probably have to open a case with eBay, and the seller will probably say he has a tracking number, and I have to prove to ebay that he hasn't actually shipped the item. What a huge, freaking pain. The seller actually has a 100% positive rating with about 100 reviews, but only around 10 sales are in the last 6 months. I should have looked closer, and already am regretting this purchase tremendously.

One other thing to add is that I am probably going to open an eBay store myself. (as mentioned in another thread, this is a way to convince my wife that my hobby can have financial dividends.) I still working on building inventory, but I'm planning on doing BIN's myself (probably), and then selling the cards for ~25% over what I purchased it for. And since I purchased these cards recently, these will probably be higher than the average price for the cards, but I'm hoping that convenience of finding of these cards on ebay and that there won't be question of authenticity (since I'll only be selling graded cards) will help me get some sales. Of course, I might also be one of the fastest eBay stores to go out of business.