View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Default A refresher course on why the Joe Doyle Nat'l card is so rare

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Here are 8 - T206 cards from the 150 Series that were extended into the 350 Series by virtue of
their Piedmont 350 backs. With the exception of Lundgren, the other 7 cards are relatively easy
to find with their usual 150 Series backs. However, all 8 of these cards are extremely scarce to
find with the Piedmont 350 back. Furthermore, they were not printed with Sweet Caporal 350 or
Sovereign 350.

My research shows, that whenever these 8 cards are found with their rare Piedmont 350 backs....
there is a fair probability that a Doyle N.Y. Nat'l card will be found.... unfortunately, this seldom
occurs. This has been a theory of mine that was proven recently with empirical evidence. The
original collection of Richard Russell (who collected T206's as a teenager in 1910-1911) includes
these rare Piedmont 350 cards and the Joe Doyle error card.

Early in 1910, when the Piedmont 350 cards were shipped to the Richmond (VA) tobacco factory,
they were INITIALLY shipped in small batches (not huge amounts). This fact, in my opinion, is
supported by the scarcity of this group of cards. Subsequently, as Amer. Litho. printed up more
350 Series cards, larger shipments of T206's went to the Piedmont factory (as well as the other
various T-brand factories).

In the example presented here (the Russell collection) the VA factory inserted these T206 cards
in their Piedmont cigarette packs and shipped them to the Atlanta (GA) area in 1910.

[linked image]

I welcome any further debate on on this subject ?

TED Z