View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
For anyone who's never seen one (particularly in person), I can tell you that they're amazingly well done. I'm glad to have purchased several from Bob a few years ago.
Me too. I did not buy them for future appreciation; however, I suppose that could happen. I bought them because I really appreciated them. Bob Lemke's work was flat-out great. I only own five--a couple football and three baseball. When I get them properly mounted in a good one-screw, they will be placed beside my period cards. I have Bob's re-creation of a 1963 JELL-O Black Raspberry box, using the heart of the compelling photo of Mickey Mantle the JELL-O people chose for their in-store advertising placard. Beauty is where you find it, and I find Bob's creations cardboard works of art.

So, if you're still on the fence as to whether to buy one or more examples, I urge you to act NOW! The cost is peanuts compared to the price if it was original period, which of course it is not. So much of our hobby is imagining the past and what it was like to collect these gems. Many of us have mused about cards we wish would have been made. Years ago our dear Mr. Lemke finally "threw down the gauntlet" and decided to do something about his inner yearnings for "cards that never were, but ought to have been". I salute him for sharing his passion with us, rather than keeping all his customs to himself!

I put that same passion into the final chapter of my book; fantasy cards are very fulfilling. Bob Lemke sure thought so.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-19-2017 at 08:32 PM.