View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Default I get by with little help from my friends…

Posted By: Mark Macrae

I presently have about a dozen different, none of which have any indication of ever having printing on the back (By printing I mean "POSTCARD" , "Place Stamp Here" , etc or any divide lines separating the message from the addressee) which would typically be found on a "Postcard" back of that era. Additionally all that I have (and can recall seeing) appear to have been handcut only on the top and/ or bottom edges.The side edges seem to be 'machine cut'. Width can vary, as with the W-517 Large. Common sense would suggest that the side edges, which are much longer than the top/bottom edges, would pose a greater challenge for an original consumer to cut down (especially an 8-12 year old). It would follow that more of these cards should exist with inconsistant (original) cutting variances if they were marketed in a block of four. My experiences with these cards have been with mostly "outside the hobby" cards or those found similarly by longtime collectors such as John Spalding , Lou Chericoni and other pioneers in the Northern California area. And yes they do come in different colors....Looks like the catalog should make room for a W-517, Type 3 (Block of 4 with Postcard back)...