View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default tim

Nice work so far. The other blue background Old Put I am aware of is one that I did see a scan of. There is no refuting I saw it. As a matter of fact I know it belong(ed) to an employee of a card dealer, I think Kit Young. He had sent a scan several years ago when we were talking about them on the board at that time. I agree with Adam W too, if these aren't your cup of tea, that is fine. The fewer collectors of them the less they will cost us ........ As I have said before, and you have made a point of too, I do think provenance on overprints is a good thing. Last time we had this discussion about E94's I called Rob L and asked him about them, since he's been in the hobby around 30-35 yrs. He told me he has found E94 overprints in virgin collections and is sure they are legit. My Oh You Fan E94 came, second hand thru Tom B., from a guy that barely knew what he had. At least 7-8 of my exact E94 overprints are shown in Lipset's Encyclopedia as I got them from one of his auctions many years ago. That book is 25 yrs old so having pics of them in there is as good as it gets for provenance. I bought those 8 (of the 10 I own) in his auction, for $8800, which was a record high price at the time. All of them were sent in 1 toploader, stacked on top of each other. I would venture to guess there are many more Old Puts and E94 overprints that are not even known about, still in old original collections.

Last edited by Leon; 05-12-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo