View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Like an idiot, I turned down a chance to take a teaching job in Hawaii when I was fresh out of college. I was just married and applying just about everywhere I could think of. Went to a job fair hosted by my college and Hawaii - apparently the entire state is one school district, or at least one group does all the hiring - was there. I interviewed with the guy and he indicated he'd like to hire me. The salary offer was shockingly low and I asked the guy how teachers could afford to live there. He told me "well, most of our first and second-year teachers get a roommate". I then asked about moving expenses and was told they'd give me $800. Even in 1995, that wouldn't have been enough to get me and my wife there, let alone much of our stuff. I then told the guy the salary was not competitive and asked "How do you get anybody to come work for you?" Dude leaned back in his chair, spread his arms real wide and said "We're Hawaii." I couldn't argue, LOL.

At the time, all I cared about was the salary being really low. We'd have struggled like mad on the salary they offered even if my wife got a job. The idea of getting a roommate while we were newlyweds was NOT appealing. And so I turned the job down. And we've regretted it ever since. Shoulda taken the job, eaten ramen noodles every night, and soaked up the atmosphere of living in Hawaii.

And now, 19 years later, my wife and I are headed there for the first time in three weeks!
FWIW, I read an article about what it's like teaching in Hawaii. I guess the native population has some extremely poor neighborhoods, and they aren't very willing to open up with non-natives, so teaching there can be like beating your head against the wall (even more so than in Ohio!) Basically, the turnover rate is extremely high.

Ken