View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 07:33 AM
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfh24 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tracked the cost of assembly on a 1972 set? I dont believe the base cards are very expensive but there is a decent amount of high #s and with the set containing 787 cards it is the largest of the vintage sets. I have a hard time going by Beckett values at this point. What would be the true value of the set be in EXMT-NRMT?
I have done exactly what you described within the last year and I track everything I buy. Here's what I have into my set:

Purchase of complete set on eBay: $842.07
Upgrading 132 cards including Bench, Rose, Jackson,
Mays, B. Robinson & numerous high numbers: $473.63
Sale of my lesser grade cards: -$77.48
Total cost: $1238.22

For $1240 I have a good EX-Mint/NM set with 95% of the cards with 4 sharp corners.

The high number cards seem to go for about $5-6 each, with many much higher. One of the hardest cards to find at a reasonable cost was #700, Bobby Murcer In Action. That was $13. I bought my cards between Greg Morris on eBay and at large card shows from dealers that specialize in set building. The low number commons are between 50 cents-$1 each at the shows, usually $1-1.50 on eBay. If I was going to do it over again I would do it the same, except check the base set better for condition of the high number cards.